Who wants the summer to end? Not us! Our final week of summer is dedicated to our annual Backyard Campout. Since we’re trying to make our campouts a bit healthier, we thought we’d tweak a favourite recipe from The Lunchbox Season to honour the seasonal peach. This Endless Summer Peach Almond Cake is Gluten Free and Sugar Free.
ENDLESS SUMMER PEACH ALMOND CAKE
- 1/4 c pitted unsweeted dates
- 4 tbs boiling water
- 4 tbs butter [or your best good oil [coconut oil should be melted]
- 1 cup raw natural nuts [we used almonds, but pecans are also amazing here]
- 1/4 c unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 c almond flour [or alternative gluten-free flour]
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger [optional]
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small sliced fresh peaches skin on or off, as you see fit
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Place dates into a small bowl and cover with the boiling water, allowing to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt butter.
- Brush a 9-in tart or cake pan with a small bit of the melted butter [or oil]
- In a food processor, blitz the raw nuts and the coconut until fairly well pulverized.
- Add almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and blitz until just combined.
- Remove nut mixture from processor and set aside.
- In the food processor bowl, blitz the dates in their liquid.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and pulse until just combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until just combined.
- Return the flour mixture to the processor and pulse until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
- Slice peaches and lay over top of batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- If desired, serve with a dollop of yogurt or a spoonful of cream.