As it turned out, no-one in the house wanted fruity donuts…
So, our Summer Bucket List plan to make Strawberry Donuts took a turn…
for the better…
with this Strawberry Buttermilk Cake…
Actually, it’s a Strawberry Cognac Buttermilk Cake…
Cognac’s optional, of course.
Strawberry [Cognac] Buttermilk Cake
- 2 c flour
- .5 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp baking soda
- .25 tsp salt
- .5 c unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 c brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp Cognac [optional]
- .75 c buttermilk
- 1 small pint of strawberries [about a dozen] halved
- 1 tbs icing sugar [optional]
- Heat oven to 350.
- Use baking spray to coat or butter and flour a 8-9 inch square or round baking dish.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a small bowl.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- Slowly add eggs, vanilla, cognac and, finally, buttermilk until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Place strawberry halves on top of the batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the cake is light and fluffy and a knife comes out clean.
- If the edges start to brown, cover them in tinfoil.
- If desired, sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar. [I like to use a mesh tea ball/strainer for this job.]